Dr. Arun Mehra
- Diploma in Cardiac Surgery. St.Thomas’ Hospital London.
- Advanced Diploma in Mitral Valve Disease.Hospital Broussais, Paris.
- Diploma in Thoracoscopic Surgery.
- European Association of Laparscopic Surgery, Amsterdam.
- Formerly Senior Registrar and Acting Consultant, St. Thomas Hospital, London
- Senior Clinical Fellow. St. Mary’s Hospital, London.
- Faculty staff, Royal Infirmary Glasgow.
Awards & Gold Medals
Dr. Mehra had a brilliant career as a medical student. He was awarded four gold medals for MBBS surgery, MS Surgery, Best Outgoing Student and University Gold medal for Surgery:
- DR. MOTIBHAI PATEL GOLD MEDAL for Surgery, awarded by the Gujarat University for final MBBS 1977-78
- DR. M. D. DESAI Best Outgoing Student GOLD MEDAL awarded by Smt. N. H. L. Municipal Medical College, Ahmedabad,1977.
- MRS. SARASWATI JAGMOHAN PARIKH GOLD MEDAL for Surgery awarded by Gujarat University, 1982.
- DR. ASHOK SHAH GOLD MEDAL for Surgery awarded by the K. M. School of Post Graduate Medicine and research, for M. S., General Surgery.
- Dr. G. V. Deshmukh Oration awarded by the Indian Medical Association in 2006.
- “Special Award To Eminent Medical Men” for distinguished achievement of highest order awarded by the Indian Medical Association in December 2005.
- Dr. F. P. Antia Oration awarded by the Mumbai branch of the Indian Medical Association in December 2004.
- After passing MCh from Bombay Dr. Mehra was in London. He obtained Senior Fellowship in Cardiac Surgery from the world famous St. Thomas’ Hospital where he spent more than 6 years.
- Dr. Mehra has performed over 5000 coronary artery Bypass operations and he is a specialist in total arterial grafting.
- Dr Mehra returned from London and joined Jaslok Hospital Bombay in 1995. He is a Specialist in Redo surgery, Arterial grafting and Total Arterial Grafting using LIMA RIMA Y graft.
- Dr. Mehra has several research papers to his credit over 30 of which have been published in reputed international journals.
Octopus Micas Surgery:
- Dr Mehra has been a pioneer of octopus Micas Off pump surgery in India. Performed the first Beating heart surgery in Mumbai using Octopus in May 1998.
- At Jaslok Hospital. Mr Eric Jaansen inventor of the Octopus stabilizer was invited to the workshop. Two cases were successfully performed.
Impella LVAD device:
- Dr Mehra is the first surgeon in Asia to perform Impella device supported cardiac surgery. He has performed three successful cases of Impella LV support. The first case was performed at Jaslok Hospital.
- Dr Arun Mehra performed the first successful ECMO “bridge to recovery” procedure at Jaslok Hospital in a code blue survivor. The patient had an uneventful recovery.